Accessible and affordable MRI for a Greater Geelong
Rapid diagnosis and intervention saves lives. Support Medicare-eligible MRI at Epworth Geelong.
Epworth Geelong is home to Victoria’s most advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology, but without Medicare eligibility for the unit, patients are faced with a decision to pay full fees or to travel offsite for essential diagnostic services.
Patients should not have to compromise on health outcomes based on affordability.
This campaign has been developed to create community awareness about fairer access to subsidised MRI in the Greater Geelong region. The signatures generated will be a representation of community support for the application to the Federal Minister for Health, the Hon. Greg Hunt MP, for Medicare eligible MRI at Epworth Geelong.
Register your support here.
Why should you support this campaign?
- With a Medicare-subsidised MRI unit, patients will have access to bulk billed MRI for all eligible scans, saving local patients a minimum of $275 per scan (regardless of whether they have health insurance).
- Without a Medicare-eligible MRI unit, Corangamite residents will continue to pay full fees for MRI or unnecessarily travel elsewhere for rebatable scans.
- Medicare-eligible MRI at Epworth Geelong would reduce wait times for existing services in one of Australia’s fastest growing regions.
- With only two fully Medicare-eligible MRI units, the Greater Geelong region is at a disadvantage when compared to smaller populations including Bendigo, with three fully eligible units, and Ballarat and Warrnambool, each with two.
- The state-of-the-art MRI scanner at Epworth Geelong is the most intuitive in the state and has raised the bar in musculoskeletal, neurological, body, oncological and cardiac imaging. Without access to Medicare-eligible services, thousands of patients are denied these benefits.
- Epworth Geelong is the only regional hospital that provides neurosurgical services to its residents. MRI is an essential diagnostic tool in the provision of neurosurgical services.